Monday, January 31, 2011

Shots for St. Nino

Happy St. Nino's Day! Last Thursday was St. Nino's day and as a gift from my students I only had to teach one class. All the upper level classes went up to our Biology teacher, Nino, and asked her if they could miss class and go pray at the church for her (yeah, right). So as I sat in an empty classroom awaiting my students (only for 20 minutes till I heard they weren't coming,) they were off at the local cafe drinking and eating and having a good ol' time. Celebrating St. Nino of course! 
After that, I went to go read in the teacher's lounge, and wait for 6th period so I could teach my 5th form class, and my school director pulls me into the coffee room. A bunch of teachers (including Nino because its her day) were sitting around drinking coffee, eating cake, and taking shots of hazelnut liquor. I sat down on the bed. Yes, there is a bed in the coffee room. In case you can't handle the drinking that goes on in there sometimes. Hah. No really it used to be the nurse's room. My school couldn't afford to have the nurse anymore so they made it into their coffee room (go figure!). 
Katuna, my school director, went and poured me a shot of liquor and we gagimargos'ed' (cheers!) for Nino, the school, and Georgian-US relations. I took down the shot like a true Georgian and then the bell rang and I was off to teach my 5th formers. Good thing there is no DARE program in Georgia! 

No comments:

Post a Comment