Friday, December 17, 2010

Tis' The Season!

Over the past few weeks I've been teaching and practicing different Christmas, New Years, and Winter songs with each of my classes in preparation for a winter concert. Since my first week at school Nana always mentioned how she wanted to put on a holiday show, and today it took place! 


Since we don't have a stage or all-purpose type room the concert took place in our large music room. I wanted to have a party along with the kids singing songs so for the first hour just the 3rd, 4th, and 5th formers came in for fun. We had tables set up for them to write their own Christmas cards and letters to Santa. I wrote out samples like 'Dear Bob, Roses are Red. Violets are Blue. I want to wish a very Happy New Year to you!' Many of the kids copied from my examples even adding in 'Dear Bob' haha. I put out smiley face and star stickers and they went WILD over them! I now know what to bribe them with for next semester! 


So much love for 'Tara Teacher'




I also created a 'Pin The Nose on the Rudolph' game. They could not get enough of it! I even had 7th and 8th graders sneaking into the room to play! It amazes me sometimes that the simplest things, like games or songs I've known my whole life, are so incredibly enjoyable for them. 


Pin the Nose on the Rudolph!




The concert part of the day went great! Each class came into the room to preform for teachers, parents, and some members of the educational resource center. I really could not have been more proud of all my children. Even the 6th formers who did not know the last few verses of 'Let it Snow' pulled it off in style! 


'Dashinggg thwru thee snoww'




My 11th and 12th formers were definitely the stars of the show. They preformed a skit that we wrote together in class about drinking on New Years, and then they sang 'Jingle Bell Rock' and 'So This is Christmas.' My principal liked it so much that she had them do 'Jingle Bell Rock' again in order to catch it on camera! 


Its the right time to rock the night away!




The concert was a success! I was even interviewed by a journalist from the neighboring city of Kutaisi! I really enjoyed teaching my kids songs. It made me remember all the shows I was in growing up, and how much fun it all was. 


The girls got in on the fun too


So that is a wrap for my first semester in Georgia! I'm flying to Israel with the three other Samtredia gals on Monday for our winter break. I'm not sure how much internet access I will have, but I will be sure to blog if I can get some. Until then, Happy holidays and Happy New Year!!





2 comments:

  1. Last photo: seems all of Samtredia gals got very acclimated to Georgian environment - judging from how they are dressed, nobody could distinguish them from natives (well, except Michelle, probably).

    All of you rock! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just saw this Invisible...

    Thanks so much! The Samtredia gals are back and better than ever!

    ReplyDelete